Surgery is a major decision and it is vital to choose a pelvic and cosmetic surgeon carefully. Below is a list of issues to consider as you go through the process. Any reliable and reputable surgeon will welcome your questions and want you to be completely comfortable with his or her qualifications.
- Check the surgeon’s credentials.
Be sure to confirm and verify a physician’s medical license, certifications and professional society memberships. You can also ask what the requirements are to be board certified in that specialty.
- Ask about the surgeon’s experience.
Don’t hesitate to ask about the surgeon’s medical education and training specific to the procedure(s) you are considering. Find out how many procedures of this kind the surgeon has performed and how often he or she performs them.
- Get referrals from friends.
Getting referrals from friends is a great way to start the process. It is important to remember that surgeons specialize in different areas of pelvic and cosmetic surgery and most are not experts in every area. For example, the surgeon who did a great SmartLipo™ procedure for a friend may not be the most experienced at Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation®.
- Ask to see before and after photos.
Looking at before and after photos can give you an idea of the surgeon’s ability, although it is important to note that results cannot be guaranteed because every patient is different. The surgeon you choose can help determine what kind of results you should expect.
- Consider all your options.
You have many options and it is important to consider them all. Do not hesitate to consult with more than one pelvic and cosmetic surgeon to discuss the procedure you are interested in and your desired outcome. There may be more than one option available with varying risks, benefits, recovery time and results.
- Trust your instincts and make sure you are comfortable with the surgeon you choose.
You should feel very comfortable with the surgeon you choose. It is also important that you feel at ease with the staff, because a lot of your communication will be with them. Each and every concern you have should be addressed and you should not settle for incomplete answers from anyone.
- Be on the lookout for warning signs. Below are a few warning signs to look out for:
– A surgeon who is impatient and rushes you to make a decision.
– An environment that is not clean.
– A surgeon who is willing to combine several major surgeries into one operation. Discuss the timing of surgeries with your surgeon and inquire about the safest method of achieving your desired results.
– A surgeon who refuses to answer questions or provide you with requested information.