Motherhood can be a life-changing and beautiful experience, but that doesn’t mean the joy of bringing a child into the world doesn’t take its toll on the body. There are a wide range of symptoms that can occur after childbirth that too often go ignored. At Aguirre Specialty Care, we believe you deserve to live comfortably and confidently, which is why we offer surgical and non-surgical solutions to help you regain your sense of intimate wellness and vitality.
Here’s a look at common issues experienced after childbirth and ways we can help you find relief:
Condition: Pelvic prolapse
Normally, your bladder, uterus, vagina and rectum are held in place by groups of muscles and endopelvic fascia. But when these organs become damaged from childbirth trauma, the pelvic floor is weakened, allowing pelvic organs to drop down and bulge out of the vagina. While you may think these vaginal changes are “normal” following childbirth, it’s important to get ahead of pelvic prolapse before it progresses to an advanced state. Depending on the location and severity of your condition, Dr. Aguirre offers a variety of effective treatments.
● Kegels, squeezing and releasing your pelvic floor muscles, can help strengthen the pelvic floor and improve your symptoms.
● Biofeedback is a non-invasive mind-body technique that helps you gain control over targeted muscle groups.
● Pessary is a medical-grade, soft plastic device placed within the vagina to help buttress or support the dropped walls of the vagina.
● Surgery, via a transvaginal route, may be the ideal solution for you depending on which type of prolapse you are experiencing.
Condition: Loss of sensation
Vaginal laxity is an issue many women experience after vaginal childbirth. This laxity can result in dull vaginal sensation and diminished sexual satisfaction for both partners. Non-surgical vaginal rejuvenation is a proven way to reignite sexual intimacy with more friction during sex and increased ability to achieve orgasm.
● The O-Shot® uses platelet-rich plasma from your own blood to add volume to the clitoris and anterior vaginal wall and, in turn, increase sensation and sensitivity.
● The Viveve® Treatment uses dual cooling and heating technology to improve vaginal introital laxity and enhance sexual pleasure for women and their partners.
Condition: Urinary incontinence
The likelihood of experiencing urinary incontinence typically increases after childbirth. The strain of a vaginal birth can lead to the urethra not compressing tightly enough (stress urinary incontinence), the bladder muscle contracting when it’s not supposed to (urge urinary incontinence) or the inability to urinate (overflow incontinence).
● Non-surgical solutions include FemiLift™ laser resurfacing, The O-Shot®, The Viveve® Treatment, Transurethral Injection with Bulkamid and Percutaneous Tibial Neuromodulation (PTNS).
● Surgical solutions include Mid-urethral Sling, InterStim® Therapy and Axonics® System.